Monday, June 7, 2010

A Revelation

This is the main blog-post on MySpace that I wanted to save, it was written on Friday, February 26, 2010:

So, I had this simple revelation yesterday. Probably should have figured it out long ago, but oh well... I don't remember how it came up, but it just like clicked: God is love.

One problem I had a long time ago, was that I imagined God as just some huge magic person, with a long white beard and pure-white clothes. So, when I heard that heaven would consist of praising God for eternity, it didn't sound all that appealing. Aren't I supposed to have free will? What if I don't want to just sit and praise some old guy forever? How would that make me happy?

But, I had a misconception about the image of God. He isn't just some old guy with a white beard. In fact, he doesn't currently have a physical form. He's love, the invisible force that holds us all together. God's character fits perfectly with that of love. Love is patient, God is patient. Love is kind, so is God. Philosophers have been trying to understand love for years and continue to fail, because God transcends all understanding. God is love. Nothing less.

So, now I've got a whole new perspective on what heaven will be like. It wont matter how physically glorious everything is, because we'll be in the presence of love. All we'll feel is love. Loving God, and being loved 100% in return. Just pure love, nothing else. No sorrow, anger, hatred, or lust. Only the joy of feeling wholesome love for eternity.

I don't know about you, but that sounds a lot more appealing to me than praising some wrinkled-old-bearded guy forever. Even more appealing that streets of gold. Doesn't it?


This was written in response to a comment my mother wrote on this subject:

Actually, I was getting to that point... just didn't want to bore everyone with a really long blog-post.

God made mankind in His image, so we were made in the image of Love. Not physically with hands, legs, and other various parts; love is not physical. Our bodies weren't made to represent love, they're just a means of carrying it while we live on earth. We use our bodies to show our love, by caring for and helping others. Love is showed in our actions, its outward and needs to be expressed. Thats why the best way to represent God is by treating EVERYONE as best we can. Not just friends and family, but even our worst enemies. God calls us to love them all, as He loved us, so that they might also turn from their ways and follow Him.

I am not sure I agree completely with you about all the answers being inside of me. I have a lot of questions that can only be answered by carefully studying the Written Word, and others that become clearer by asking as many questions and discussing with others as thouroughly as I can. But there is something inside of me, and I am responsible for how I let it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment