Monday, June 7, 2010

What is Love?

"Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more~!"

This was a journal post from my DeviantArt account:

Okay, that being said, I would like to address a pretty touchy subject: Love.
(Not THAT kind of touchy! ...Sickos.)

I'll let you know right off the bat that I am no doctor nor highly-trained professional on the subject of love. I can't claim that everything I say is 100% correct, I wish only to discuss my thoughts and beliefs on the subject. If you have any disagreements, please let me know. I urge you to respond! I would love to discuss things with you, as I really do wish to learn what other's think. I love learning.

Now, to the point: I do not believe love causes people harm. Love is only a good thing, it is the very foundation of patience, kindness and forgiveness. Love does not hold envy or pride, it is not rude or self-centered.*

Why do I believe this, even after being hurt several times, myself? Because I honestly can't say it was love's fault I was hurt. It was the fault of people (perhaps myself included). People can have envy and pride, they can be rude and self-centered, not love!

Love doesn't spark hatred. But relationships can be severed because of people and what people do. Its very possible for someone to give their heart to someone else, and get nothing in return. It hurts, but not because of love, moreso the lack thereof. Because a person does not return the favor, a heart is hurt.

Now, the main reason for this journal: I'm sure most of us know at least one person still hurting from a past relationship. I was asked "how do people deal with these things? How can I help others...?"

Honestly, I only know of one way. You could give them advice, but there's always a large possibility they won't want to listen; They're people with free will, they'll make mistakes until they figure it out themselves. However, you can help them heal by showing them the true love that their hearts are aching for. I'm not saying, "go and fall in love with your friends." They don't need romance, they need love. They need people who are patient, kind, and forgiving. And I know there's many ways to show people you care! Being on DeviantArt, I'm sure the majority of you readers are creative, and can find even newer ways to reach out to those in pain.

Now, a word to those in relationships: Be careful, and make sure what you feel for each other is really love. Lust is a disgusting character often confused with love. A leech that disguises itself, so you'll hold it close to your heart where it can suck your blood from its source. You'll just find yourself feeling empty and unsatisfied.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying its too late to fix things if a relationship isn't based on love. Its still possible to turn things around. Its always possible to turn things around. You've never reached a dead-end until you're dead. A relationship that falls apart could still be salvaged for the better, so long as you bring in true love.

True love is unconditional. This means nothing the other person does could make you stop loving them. NOTHING! If there's something you couldn't forgive someone for, then your love is simply conditional. Its possible you end up with someone smart enough to keep from hurting you, but people are also very prone to make mistakes. If they do so happen to make a mistake, even if it be as low as committing adultery, would you be able to forgive them so long as they repented and really meant it?

Think about it. How true is your love? Could it survive anything, even the mistakes of each other?

And... now I can't think of anything else to say... So, I'm gunna conclude this here for now. Feel free to discuss your thoughts.


---
*1 Corinthians 13:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment